Saturday, March 20, 2021

Hitchens †

“I can’t understand a word you’re saying.”
“I’m not in the least surprised,

“Do you love us, or do you hate us?”
As Christopher pushed on through to the foyer, he said, not warmly, not
coldly, but with perfect evenness,
“It depends on how you behave.”


“With a necessary part of its collective mind, religion looks forward to the
destruction of the world.... Perhaps half aware that its unsupported arguments are
not entirely persuasive, and perhaps uneasy about its own greedy accumulation

of temporal power and wealth, religion has never ceased to proclaim the
Apocalypse and the day of judgment.” [
God Is Not Great (New York: Twelve,
2007), 56]


“ . . . I try to argue as if I think I am right, not as if I know I am right.” [“We
Know Best,”
Vanity Fair, May 2001]

"since not all religions can possibly be right, and since it is improbable that only one of
them is right, one is justified in suspecting that all of them may be equally
wrong.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exprima-se livremente!